Central to our history and tradition is the
commitment to teaching, to the individual learner, and to active
involvement in the teaching-learning process. Western Illinois
University’s highly qualified, diverse faculty promotes critical
thinking, engaged learning, research, and creativity in a challenging,
supportive learning community. We are committed to an academic
environment that encourages lifelong development as learners, scholars,
teachers, and mentors.
Spring 2010 was the best overall semester on record, as the overall student-athlete grade point average reached 3.19. During Fall 2010, student-athletes posted a fourth consecutive GPA of 3.0 or higher, finishing right at 3.00 in the first semester of a plus/minus grading system. The department GPA has exceeded that of the entire campus for seven consecutive semesters.
- For the fifth consecutive semester, Western Illinois University student-athletes exceeded the 3.0 GPA mark.
- Nearly 55 percent (204-of-372) of Western student-athletes achieved a 3.0 grade point average or above, 87 student-athletes earned University Honors at 3.60 GPA and 29 finished with a 4.0 GPA (12.8 percent).
- The Athletics Department's 3.046 GPA surpassed the University's GPA of 2.947.
- Western Illinois University student-athletes continued to excel in the classroom, recording a spring semester GPA of 3.19, the third-straight semester posting at least a 3.0 and the highest semester cumulative GPA in Athletics Department history.
- In addition to increasing the overall GPA from the previous all-time high of 3.15 GPA set in fall 2009, the Leathernecks also increased the number of perfect 4.0 averages from 53 in the fall to 64 (16.45 percent of student-athlete body) in the spring.
- Posting a GPA of 3.6 or better, 109 student athletes earned Semester Honors and 229, or more than half (58.87 percent of student-athlete body) of the student-athletes, earned a 3.0 or better.
- Matt Barr from the Football team was selected as the Lincoln Academy Student Laureate Award winner.
- 56% of student-athletes earned a 3.0 or better GPA
- 79 student-athletes earned a perfect 4.0 GPA
- Overall student-athlete GPA = 2.97
- Department of Intercollegiate Athletics GPA: 2.939
- Overall University student-body GPA: 2.88
- 52.5% of student-athletes (217) had at least a 3.00 GPA
- 10.4% of student-athletes (43) had a perfect 4.0GPA
- 23.7% of student-athletes (98) earned semester honors with at least a 3.6 GPA
- Highest Women's Team GPA: Softball (3.42)
- Highest Men's Team GPA: Men's Golf (3.249)
- 56 student-athletes on The Summit League Fall Academic All-League Team
- Department of Intercollegiate Athletics GPA: 2.97
- 80 student-athletes earned a perfect 4.0 GPA
- 57% of student-athletes earned at least a 3.00 GPA
- 165 student-athletes earned University academic honors with at least a 3.60 GPA
- Bess Rapp named The Summit League Women’s Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- 172 selections to the Academic All-Summit League Team (53% of student-athletes)
- 32 selections to the Gateway Football Conference Academic Honor Roll (36% of roster)