EDMOND & TULSA, Okla. - After falling 7-0 to Oklahoma State on Sunday morning, Western Illinois men's tennis rebounded to defeat Oral Roberts 5-2 Sunday evening.
The Leathernecks move to 2-3 overall on the season, while the Cowboys even their record at 2-2 and the Golden Eagles remain winless at 0-3.
"I was proud of the way our guys bounced back to defeat former conference rivals Oral Roberts," head coach Chris Kane said. "We didn't want to come back from our trip to Oklahoma without a win. Our players competed with determination and focus."
The doubles team of freshmen Christoph Haertel and Bradley Holt remained unbeaten. The No. 2 doubles match against Oklahoma State was knotted at 5-5 when doubles play concluded and the match was unfinished, before the pair won over Oral Roberts, 8-4.
"The doubles point is always critical," Kane added. "The doubles matches were of a high level [against ORU]."
Holt and sophomore Mitch Granger each won twice on the day. At third singles, Holt won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, while Granger, the No. 17-ranked singles player in the Central region, breezed to a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles.
Against Oklahoma State, Cederkall also put up the team's biggest fight in singles play, falling 6-4, 7-6 (2). All Leathernecks fell in straight sets.
"Oklahoma State is an outstanding BCS team from the Big 12," Kane added. "They have been nationally ranked in most of the previous years and have tremendous talent. Though not a victory, we played very well."
Next weekend, men's tennis travels to Iowa on Friday, Creighton on Saturday and competes in its first conference match on Sunday at Omaha.
"Our challenging schedule continues next weekend when we take on Big Ten power Iowa, and then continue on to Nebraska to play our first conference match [against] Nebraska-Omaha, as well as the talented Creighton Blue Jays," Kane said.
Oklahoma State 7, Western Illinois 0
1. Richard Del Nunzio/Denys Pume (OSU) def. Ben Yue/Patrick Hammers (WIU) 8-5
2. Brady Bohrnstedt/Matt Campbell (OSU) vs. Christoph Haertel/Bradley Holt (WIU) 5-5 uf.
3. Chris Haworth/Trevor Horstmann (OSU) def. Brandon Meeker/Mitch Granger (WIU) 8-6
Order of finish 3, 1
1. Chris Haworth (OSU) def. Christoph Haertel (WIU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Denys Pume (OSU) def. Patrick Hammers (WIU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Richard Del Nunzio (OSU) def. Bradley Holt (WIU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Matt Campbell (OSU) def. Ben Yue (WIU) 7-5, 6-0
5. Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) def. Mitch Granger (WIU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Trevor Horstmann (OSU) def. Max Cederkall (WIU) 6-4, 7-6 (2)
Order of finish 3, 2, 5, 1, 4, 6
Western Illinois 5, Oral Roberts 2
1. Fabian Zierleyn (ORU) def. Christoph Haertel (WIU) 3-6, 7-6, 10-6
2. Jason Mechali (ORU) def. Patrick Hammers (WIU) 7-5, retired
3. Bradley Holt (WIU) def. Parker Allen (ORU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Ben Yue (WIU) def. Pedro Moreno (ORU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Mitch Granger (WIU) def. Braxton Bates (ORU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Max Cederkall (WIU) def. Gabriel Kanelopoulos (ORU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Fabian Zierleyn/Jason Mechali (ORU) vs. Ben Yue/Patrick Hammers (WIU) 5-6, unfinished
2. Bradley Holt/Christoph Haertel (WIU) def. Parker Allen/Braxton Bates (ORU) 8-4
3. Mitch Granger/Brandon Meeker (WIU) def. Pedro Moreno/Nathaniel Avery (ORU) 8-5