JACKSONVILLE, Ill. - Western Illinois men's tennis swept a pair of nonconference matches over Illinois College and Lindenwood University - Belleville inside King Field House in Jacksonville on Tuesday.
The Leathernecks defeated Illinois College 7-0 in the morning, before topping Lindenwood-Belleville 9-0 in the evening.
"I thought we played well today," head coach Chris Kane said. "I was nervous not having our #1 and #2 players in the lineup today, but our other players stepped up and dominated."
With the pair of victories, Western nears .500 with a 5-6 overall mark, while the Blueboys fall to 0-3 and the Lynx open their season 0-1.
Four Leathernecks finished the day with four wins apiece: Bradley Holt, Mitch Granger, Ben Yue and Chris Bunch. Each won at both singles and doubles in each contest, as the Leathernecks didn't drop a set on the day.
"Brad Holt, playing in the #1 singles slot for the first time, was a winner," Kane said. "It was also great to see Brett Furmanski make his spring season debut with wins in both singles and doubles."
Furmanski and Bunch also combined to win 8-0 at third doubles.
Against Lindenwood-Belleville, Bunch was the only Leatherneck to win 6-0, 6-0, his coming at fifth singles.
"We knew Lindenwood--Belleville had signed some fine international players, and were expecting a battle," Kane added. "Brad Holt played an excellent player from Venezuela at #1, and after a tough 7-5 win in the first set, cruised to a 7-5, 6-0 win. Ben Yue, Mitch Granger, and Max Cederkall all posted both singles and doubles wins, and hit many great shots. It was a very good team effort."
Granger (6-1, 6-0 at No. 3 singles) and Max Cederkall (6-1, 6-0 at No. 4 singles) also posted dominating efforts.
"I thought our effort today was strong and business-like," Kane mentioned. "We played on very fast courts, and used our power for a distinct advantage. We played a good level of tennis, and never let Lindenwood-Belleville get into the match."
Western Illinois will next take on Toledo at a neutral site (Galesburg, Ill.) on Friday, before playing both North Dakota and Drake in Des Moines, Iowa, on Saturday.
Western Illinois 7, Illinois College 0
1. Bradley Holt (WIU) def. Colin Ladd (IC), 6-0, 6-1
2. Ben Yue (WIU) def. Joshua Kuehn (IC), 6-0, 6-0
3. Mitch Granger (WIU) def. Anthony Samples (IC), 6-2, 6-1
4. Chris Bunch (WIU) def. John Hoefert (IC), 6-0, 6-0
5. Brandon Meeker (WIU) def. Matt Newman (IC), 6-0, 6-0
6. Brett Furmanski (WIU) def. Caleb Brown (IC), 6-0, 6-0
1. Bradley Holt/Ben Yue (WIU) def. Colin Ladd/Joshua Kuehn (IC), 8-3
2. Mitch Granger/Max Cederkall (WIU) def. John Hoefert/Anthony Samples (IC), 8-1
3. Brett Furmanski/Chris Bunch (WIU) def. Caleb Brown/Matt Newman (IC), 8-0
Western Illinois 9, Lindenwood-Belleville 0Singles Competition
1. Bradley Holt (WIU) def. Eduardo Garcia (LUB), 7-5, 6-0
2. Ben Yue (WIU) def. Quoc Nguyen (LUB), 6-1, 6-2
3. Mitch Granger (WIU) def. Dylan Prosser (LUB), 6-1, 6-0
4. Max Cederkall (WIU) def. Christian Hamilton (LUB), 6-1, 6-0
5. Chris Bunch (WIU) def. Ryan Garside (LUB), 6-0, 6-0
6. Brandon Meeker (WIU) def. Rodney Atwaters (LUB), 6-0, 6-2
1. Bradley Holt/Ben Yue (WIU) def. Eduardo Garcia/Christian Hamilton (LUB), 8-1
2. Mitch Granger/Max Cederkall (WIU) def. Quoc Nguyen/Dylan Prosser (LUB), 8-2
3. Brett Furmanski/Chris Bunch (WIU) def. Ryan Garside/Rodney Atwaters (LUB), 9-7