MACOMB, Ill. - A brief but intense workout on Saturday morning (Aug. 13) highlighted practice #11 for the Western Illinois Fighting Leathernecks. The team closed out the 90 minute practice with a live scrimmage. Western will take Sunday off from practice, its first day off since the start of fall camp.
Some news and notes from the scrimmage...
- Several Leathernecks were not suited up to play. Head coach Mark Hendrickson noted in his post-practice interview none are serious injuries and many will return to practice on Monday's two-a-day session.
- A group of officials were brought in for the scrimmage. They talked with the coaching staff after practice on the new rule changes.
- Western's running game, led by Caulton Ray and Bryce Flowers, used three straight runs to pick up a first down to start things out. Later Wil Lunt found Terriun Crump on third down to move the chains.
- Jolli Odele recorded a tackle for loss and a sack on consecutive plays during the next series. David McDaniel recorded a pass break-up, Larry Patterson broke through on a 23-yard run then McDaniel followed with another PBU on the next play.
- In the next set, the Leatherneck defense recorded another sack but on 3rd-and-long Lunt hit Crump over the middle. The preseason all-conference selection made an impressive over-his-head catch and held on when he hit the ground.
- Darryl Johnson recorded the only turnover in the practice when the former defensive lineman-turned-linebacker forced a fumble and recovered.
- The defense recorded two consecutive sacks, the latter by senior nose guard Emeka Nwankwo, a summer transfer from Notre Dame.
- During special teams work freshman Michael Shroble launched a couple of impressive punts. Pat Smith also took a couple of punts. Both Smith, a preseason all-conference selection, and Shroble worked out during the PAT/Field Goal session.
- Darryl Hughes broke up two straight pass plays, the first almost resulting in an interception.
- Near the end of the scrimmage Trenton Heard broke through on a 9-yard run. Jamel Wilmore and Chip Holtschlag each made a stop at the line of scrimmage on the next two plays.
Western returns to the practice fields on Monday morning (Aug. 15) at 9 a.m. The season kicks off on September 1st at Sam Houston State. The Leathernecks open at home on September 10th against Jacksonville. Season tickets are on sale by calling (309) 298-1190 or going to www.GoLeathernecks.com.
SECOND ANNUAL MEET THE LEATHERNECKS DAY SCHEDULED: On Sunday, August 14th at 4 p.m., fans of all ages can meet the 2011 Western Illinois Football team at the 2nd Annual Meet the Leathernecks. The event will be held at the practice fields behind Brophy Hall. Children between the ages of 6-12 can play on the field with the players and coaches from 4-5 p.m. Fans can interact with the Leatherneck players and coaches, then following the skills session the team will be available to sign autographs. This event is free and open to the public.
FALL CAMP PRACTICE SCHEDULE:
August 14: 2nd
Annual Meet the Leathernecks, 4-5 p.m.
August 15: 9-11 a.m.; 6-7:45 p.m.
August 16: 2:45-5 p.m.
August 17: 9-11 a.m.; 6-7:45 p.m.
August 18: 2:45-5 p.m.
August 19: 9-11 a.m.; 6-7:45 p.m.
August 20: 9:30-11 a.m. Move in Day
August 22 First Day of Classes