DATE: Saturday, October 6
TIME: 2 p.m.
LOCATION: Vermillion, South Dakota
STADIUM: DakotaDome (10,000)
SURFACE: Artificial Turf
ALL-TIME SERIES: WIU trails 2-0
LAST MEETING: USD 17, @WIU 16 (10/15/77)
LIVE STATS: USDCoyotes.com
RADIO (Leatherneck Sports Network)
ANNOUNCERS: Beau Spencer/Mark Bloom
Macomb: WIUS 88.3 FM (Flagship)
Macomb: WJEQ 102.7 FM
Galesburg: WAIK 1590 AM
Quincy: WPWQ 106.7 FM
Clinton, Iowa: KCLN 1390 AM
Monroe City, Missouri: KWBZ 107.5
NETWORK: Midco Sports Network
ANNOUNCERS: Jay Elsen (PBP); Andre Fields (color)
Available through USDCoyotes.com.
Audio/Stats available on iPhone and Android
phones with mobile app download. Search WIU Leathernecks app on iTunes and
THE GAME: After playing three of its first four games at Hanson Field, Western Illinois begins a stretch in October playing three of the four games on the road. The trek begins with the first of two consecutive trips to South Dakota, Saturday in Vermillion... This marks the third meeting all-time against the Coyotes, but first as Division I opponents. The two programs met in November 1976 (28-7 loss for Western) and October 1977 (17-16 defeat at home)... USD is in its first year as an affiliate member of the Missouri Valley Football Conference.
THE COACHES: Mark Hendrickson is in third year as full-time head coach with a 12-16 record, and his 14th year with the Leatherneck Football program (17-26 overall record including parts of 2008/2009 season as acting head coach)... Joe Glenn is 1-3 in his first year as head coach at South Dakota, and 189-103-1 overall in 25 years.
- For the fifth time in the last seven years Western currently owns a winning record against non-conference competition.
- The Leathernecks rank 22nd in the country in toughest schedule.Western is one of seven Missouri Valley Football Conference teams among the 'Top 22'.
- Western stands 18th nationally in average attendance (14,011).
- The Leathernecks are tied for third nationally scoring in all 10 trips to the redzone this year. Western is joined by South Dakota in redzone offense percentage, both 10-for-10 (five off the national lead).
- Western is tied for 12th nationally with seven interceptions (134 interception yards), which is one off the MVFC lead. The Leathernecks had eight all of last year for only 55 yards.
- Western also ranks among the 'Top 10' nationally in fewest penalty yards (tied for 7th), averaging 33 yards per game.
- Western is also tied for 7th nationally in fourth down conversion (83.3 percent, 5-of-6). On the flip side, the defense is tied for 33rd in the nation allowing a 40 percent success rate on fourth down (2-of-5).
- Pat Smith is tied for sixth nationally in field goals made averaging 1.75 per game. He leads the nation with his 7-for-7 (1.000) percentage. He now surpassed his previous high of five made in 2010 and is one shy of his two-year total. The junior kicker is up to 92 career points.
- The Leathernecks surpassed a 2011 total in the Indianapolis game, scoring on their first drive. Western accomplished the feat five times in 2010, but only once last year. The team scored on the opening drive during the first two games of 2012.
- Smith's career-long 46-yard field goal versus Indianapolis was the longest made in four years by a Leatherneck kicker... It was his second-longest attempt at Western. He missed from 48 yards last year against Jacksonville.
- Martinez Davis slipped to a tie for 19th nationally in interceptions following the bye week. The sophomore is third among the MVFC leaders.
- Redshirt-freshman J.J. Raffelson increased his team tackle lead to 42, tying him for 22nd nationally in per game. He's three tackles shy of being the top freshman tackler in the country. No Leatherneck freshman in the NCAA Division I era has ever led the team in tackles for a season, and only twice since 1981 has a sophomore accomplished that feat.
SCOUTING THE COYOTES: Under first-year head coach Joe Glenn, South Dakota enters the game 1-3 overall... USD made a late charge but lost to #13 Illinois State 34-31 at home in its MVFC debut... Marcus Sims ran for 120 yards and a touchdown while Josh Vander Maten completed 50 percent of his passes for 253 yards and three touchdowns... Terrance Terry caught seven passes for 89 yards and a score... Kevin Robb hit a 32-yard field goal but missed from 46... Nine of Tim Marlette's 15 tackles were solo stops, including 2.0 for a loss... USD forced two fumbles and recovered one, and also picked off a pass... USD stands 38th nationally in turnover margin (.50), good for fifth in the league... Vander Maten is 40th in passing efficiency nationally (132.26) and 52nd in total offense (220.3)... Terry is 41st in receptions (5.5) and 43rd in yards (75.3)... Sims jumped up to 56th nationally in rushing (73.8)... Emilous Davis is tied for 48th with .62 sacks per game.