IOWA CITY, Iowa - Leatherneck men's tennis opened its weekend play with a 7-0 loss at the University of Iowa inside the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex on Friday night.
After finishing 2012 just 1-22, the Hawkeyes (3-1) have already tripled their win total from last season. Western Illinois falls to 2-4 overall in the spring season.
The win was also Iowa's second of the day, as the team beat Bradley 5-2 earlier in the day.
"I thought we played poorly, not everyone, but generally. Though down last year, Iowa has always been competitive in the very tough Big Ten Conference," head coach Chris Kane said. "They brought in a great recruiting class last year, and showed they are completely different from last year's team."
The Leathernecks fell in straight sets across the board, though there were several close battles.
"We did have some fine performances," Kane added. "Christoph Haertel and Brad Holt at #2 doubles continue to play excellent doubles. If we can get them to close to the net even more, and be even more active, they have a chance to be a special team."
At No. 2 singles, freshman Bradley Holt dropped a back-and-forth 7-5, 6-4 decision.
Holt and fellow freshman Christoph Haertel also fell in a tight 8-7 (7-5) loss at second doubles.
"In singles, Brad at #2 singles (6-4, 7-5), Mitch Granger at #4 singles (6-2, 7-6 (4), and Chris Bunch at #6 (6-1, 6-4) all played very competitive matches," Kane said. "Each played very close second sets, but couldn't get into the third-set tiebreaker."
The Leathernecks have a quick turnaround, taking on Creighton tomorrow evening before opening league play at Omaha on Sunday morning.
Iowa 7, Western Illinois 0
1. Garret Dunn/Michael Swank (Iowa) def. Ben Yue/Patrick Hammers (WIU) 8-5
2. Matt Hagan/Jonas Dierckx (Iowa) def. Christoph Haertel/Bradley Holt (WIU) 8-7 (7-5)
3. /Juan Estensorro (Iowa) def. Brandon Meeker/Mitch Granger (WIU) 8-1
Order of finish 3, 1, 2
1. Matt Hagan (Iowa) def. Christoph Haertel (WIU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Jonas Dierckx (Iowa) def. Bradley Holt (WIU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Garret Dunn (Iowa) def. Ben Yue (WIU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Juan Estensorro (Iowa) def. Mitch Granger (WIU) 6-2, 7-6
5. Dominic Patrick (Iowa) def. Max Cederkall (WIU) 6-1, 6-2
6. (Iowa) def. Chris Bunch (WIU) 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish 3, 5, 1, 6, 4, 2