ON TAP: The Western Illinois men’s basketball team plays host to the South Dakota Coyotes Saturday evening (March 2) at 7 p.m., and if the Leathernecks win, they will be crowned co-regular season champions. The accomplishment would be the first of its kind during the Leathernecks Division I era.
- To view highlights from the season so far, click HERE.
MARKETING NOTES: Saturday night is Senior Night. Four men and five women's seniors will be honored Saturday
night in recognition of their collegiate careers as Leathernecks.
- The game sponsor is University Housing and Dining Service (UHDS)
- Women's game- Think Pink check presentation to McDonough District Hospitals Linda's Fund- $3,500
- Students are encouraged to participate in the Residence Hall Challenge sponsored by UHDS. Pizzas will be available for residents! Students are asked to enter Western Hall from the southwest corner doors. Prizes are available for the hall that receives the most participation.
- The student group, The Purple Haze, will host an ultimate Leatherneck superfan contest. The ultimate Leatherneck fan will be chosen before the men's game and will receive a prize pack!
- Men's basketball alumni recognition at halftime
- 1,300 free Rocky Paws will be distributed in honor of Colonel Rock III's 3rd birthday
- Leatherneck Club Social for EVERYONE after the game at Sports Corner
- Foundation Dinner in East Arena between games, invite only (Senior's parents & Alumni invited)
- Still spots open for students who want to attend The Summit League Basketball Tournament in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The trip is free for students.
- The special ticket rate for those 18 and under is available for only $3
- It's Colonel Rock III's third birthday! Free pins, cupcakes, and a card for fans to sign will be available!
FOLLOW THE ACTION
2012-13 Information Guide/Record Book
2012-13 Quick Facts
2012-13 Season Preview
THE SUMMIT LEAGUE TOURNAMENT: The Leathernecks have already clinched the #2 seed in this year’s tournament with their win over Kansas City Thursday. South Dakota State earned the #1 seed courtesy of a tiebreaker.
DIVISION I OVERALL RECORD: With a win tonight, the Leathernecks would finish the season with 21 wins, more than any other team in the program’s Division I era.
The Division I Top 5 list is below:
T1. 20-7 (.741) - 2012-13
T1. 20-8 (.714) - 1994-95
T1. 20-11 (.645) - 1982-83
DIVISION I CONFERENCE RECORD: With a win tonight, the Leathernecks would finish the season with 13 league wins, tying the most ever earned during a season in Western Illinois’ Division I era, with the best-ever win percentage.
The Division I Top 5 list is below:
1. 13-5 (.722) - 1994-95
T2. 12-3 (.800) - 2012-13
T2. 12-6 (.667) - 1995-96
MID-MAJOR TOP 25: The Leathernecks are #21 in the latest in the CollegeInsider Top 25 poll.
Previous appearances in the poll:
Jan. 7 - #22
Jan. 14 - #18
Jan. 21 - #20
Jan. 28 - #21
Feb. 4 - #20
Feb. 11 - #19
Feb. 18 - #19
Feb. 25 - #21
NCAA RPI: The Leathernecks are 120th on the NCAA’s most recent RPI ratings.
Previous appearances in the RPI:
Jan. 7 - 163rd
Jan. 14 - 158th
Jan. 21 - 146th
Jan. 28 - 133rd
Feb. 4 - 134th
Feb. 11 - 135th
Feb. 18 - 102nd
Feb. 25 - 120th
CONFERENCE PLAY: The Leathernecks are owners of an 12-3 Summit League record...Western is 6-1 at home in conference play, and 6-2 on the road in league action...Western kicked-off the season 6-0 in league play, only the second team to begin league play 6-0 in the program’s Division I era.
BEST START SINCE: Western is off to its best start in its NCAA Division I history...No Western Illinois team has started a season 20-7 or better since the 1957-58 season when the Leathernecks started 27-0.
LEAGUE LEADER: Terell Parks has earned 11 double-doubles this season, which ranks first in the Summit League...Parks also ranks first in 10-rebound games with 12, and Ceola Clark III ranks tied for first in 10-assist games with one.
WESTERN HALL: Western has lost only two games at home this season, owners of a 11-2 mark inside Western Hall...The Leathernecks are 6-1 at home in conference games, and 5-1 at home in nonconference action.
DIVISION I SINGLE-GAME ATTENDANCE: This season’s men’s basketball games are drawing in more fans than Western Hall has seen in years...The Leathernecks had a season-high 4,259 fans attend the Leathernecks’ BracketBusters game versus Cleveland State on Feb. 23...Earlier in the season, 4,163 fans packed Western Hall on January 17th versus South Dakota State, and 3,973 attended on January 19th against North Dakota State...The last time more than 3,900 people came to a home Leatherneck game was when Western played host to Indiana during the 2005-06 season.
WHAT’S IN A WESTERN WIN?: A win would mark the 1,223rd victory in program history...A win would mark head coach Jim Molinari’s 68th victory at Western, and his 291th victory all-time as a head coach...A win would be Western’s fourth-ever over South Dakota, and second this season, giving them the season sweep...Western also swept the Coyotes last season.
CONFERENCE ACTIVE CAREER LEADERS: Ceola Clark III ranks in the top five of The Summit League’s active leaders in points and assists...He ranks second in assists (455) and fourth in scoring (1,415)...Terell Parks ranks fourth in rebounds (550).
CAREER GAMES PLAYED: Ceola Clark III sits first in career games played at Western with 121.
GAMES PLAYED Year
1. 121 Ceola Clark III 2009-pr
T2. 117 Joe Dykstra 1978-83
T2. 117 Cory Fosdyck 1997-02
4. 115 Todd Hutcheson 1980-84
1,000 POINT CLUB: Ceola Clark III ranks 11th overall in points scored in program history with 1,415 career points.
9. 1,448 Gardy McCollum 1957-60
10. 1,431 David Jackson 2004-08
11. 1,415 Ceola Clark III 2009-pr
#CC3: After connecting on his 217th and 218th career three-pointers at home versus North Dakota State (Jan. 19) earlier this season, Ceola Clark III sits first in career triples made at Western...Clark passed Bill Heisler who connected on 216 during his playing career at Western.
3-POINT FG (DIVISION I) Year
1. 237 Ceola Clark III 2009-pr
2. 216 Bill Heisler 1997-01
3. 181 Brandon Creason 1995-99
ALL-TIME STEALS LEADER: Ceola Clark III became the Western Illinois career steals leader last season, picking up his 168th swipe at Kansas City on January 19th, 2012...Clark passed Bill Heisler who finished his playing career with 167 steals.
STEALS (DIVISION I) Year
1. 232 Ceola Clark III 2009-pr
2. 167 Bill Heisler 1997-01
3. 138 Andre Humphrey 1993-95
DISHIN’ THE ROCK: Ceola Clark III makes everyone else on the court around him better because of his ability to make great passes and ranks second in assists all-time in program history (1. Dwayne Banks - 506).
1. 506 Dwayne Banks 1977-80
2. 455 Ceola Clark III 2009-pr
3. 361 Daryl Reed 1982-86
SWAT TEAM: In his second season at Western, Terell Parks is tied for 2nd in blocks in program history.
1. 149 Shelby Thurmond 1992-93, 1994-95
2. 111 Terell Parks 2011-pr
3. 102 Janthony Joseph 1995-97
SINGLE-SEASON: Terell Parks has tallied the fourth most blocks in a single-season in Western Illinois history.
1. 83 Shelby Thurmond 1992-93
2. 75 James Granstra 2009-10
3. 66 Shelby Thurmond 1994-95
4. 65 Terell Parks 2011-pr
GLASS CLEANER: Terell Parks also ranks in the top 15 in career rebounds at Western.
13. 630 Paul Reuschel 1966-68
14. 586 Garrick Vicks 1993-96
15. 550 Terell Parks 2011-pr