PEORIA, Ill. - The Western Illinois men's tennis team suffered a 7-0 setback at the hands of Bradley on Wednesday night at River City South.
The Leathernecks fall to 7-11, while the Braves improve to 6-5 after also defeating Eastern Illinois earlier on Wednesday.
"We started very fast, and were ahead, or even, in all the doubles matches, to about 5-4, or 4-4," head coach Chris Kane said. "However, we did not complete our mission. Bradley outplayed us at the end, and you can't play well for two-thirds of a match and expect to win against such a strong team as Bradley."
Despite the loss, Western returned its top two singles players from injury in Patrick Hammers and Christoph Haertel. Haertel suffered a tight doubles defeat on the night, dropping an 8-6 decision at second doubles with Bradley Holt.
Hammers, meanwhile, also fell in a doubles battle, as he and teammate Ben Yue lost 8-5 at top doubles.
At No. 2 singles, Holt lost a close match by a 7-5, 6-4 margin.
Yue also contributed a strong effort in singles play, though he came out on the wrong end of a 6-4, 6-3 contest at third singles.
"Bradley has a very balanced team," Kane added. "There is very little falloff from #1 to #6. We competed hard."
Bradley 7, Western Illinois 0
1. Ahmed Albitar/Ashton Kalhorn (BU) def. Patrick Hammers/Ben Yue (WIU) 8-5
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado/Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) def. Christoph
Haertel/Bradley Holt (WIU) 8-6
3. Justin Abrams/Arthur Romanet (BU) def. Max Cederkall/Mitch Granger
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) def. Patrick Hammers (WIU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado (BU) def. (WIU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Arthur Romanet (BU) def. Ben Yue (WIU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Ahmed Albitar (BU) def. Mitch Granger (WIU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Ashton Kalhorn (BU) def. Max Cederkall (WIU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Justin Abrams (BU) def. Brandon Meeker (WIU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6,1,4,3,5,2