Western Illinois University values educational opportunity and welcomes those who show promise and a willingness to work toward achieving shared educational goals. We are committed to providing accessible, high quality educational programs and financial support for our students.
Every arm of a university provides access to learning. While student-athletes benefit from opportunities such as on-court instruction and competition, the wisdom of a mentoring coach, and off-the-court life experiences, intercollegiate athletics provides real life opportunities for students all across Western Illinois University.
Students who benefit directly from their involvement in intercollegiate athletics include those majoring in music, broadcasting, communication, athletic training, public relations, marketing, and a host of other academic pursuits.
Students in the Department of Broadcasting gain hands-on experience as an integral part of the Western Sports Network. wiutv3 provides live coverage of nearly every Western Illinois sports team throughout the year. WIUS-FM provides live radio coverage at football, men's basketball, women's basketball, volleyball, baseball and softball games.
ATHLETIC TRAINING EDUCATION PROGRAM
The Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP) at Western Illinois University is primarily responsible for the delivery of health care to all student-athletes participating in Western Illinois intercollegiate athletics.
The program strives to provide athletic training students with premier academic, clinical, and hands-on experiences within the field of athletic training. Through research, instruction, application, and feedback in the prevention, recognition, evaluation and rehabilitation of the physically active, the ATEP prepares students for success on the National Athletic Trainers’ Association’s Board of Certification examination while building qualified entry-level professionals who are characterized by their commitment to the profession, leadership in the community, and lifelong learning.
WESTERN ILLINOIS IS...
... one of the “Best in the Midwest Colleges” according to The Princeton Review
... a top tier "Best Regional University" according to U.S. News & World Report
... a "Military Friendly School" according to G.I. Jobs Magazine
... "Best for College" according to Military Times EDGE Magazine
... among the best 650 institutions in the country, according to Forbes
SIGNATURE ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
- Accountancy: Dual accreditation by Association to Advance College Schools of Business
- Agriculture: Numerous grants and internal reputation for animal and plant research
- Biology: Undergraduate research opportunities at Shedd Aquarium, Niabi Zoo, WIU's Kibbe Life Sciences Center along Mississippi River
- Broadcasting: Only sports broadcasting production program in Illinois
- Engineering: Only engineering program at a public institution in western region of Illinois
- Forensic Chemistry: One of only three bachelor of science programs in the Midwest and one of only nine programs in the nation among public universities
- Law Enforcement & Justice Administration: Largest program in the state of Illinois, one of the largest nationally
- Musical Theatre BFA: First BFA in musical theatre at an Illinois public institution
- Nursing: Accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Recreation, Park & Tourism Administration: Only program of its kind in the nation
- Supply Chain Management: One of three programs in its kind in the state
- Teacher Education: Consistent with WIU's mission and with its founding purpose as a teacher's college
YOUR DEGREE... GUARANTEED!
WIU’s GradTrac and Cost Guarantee programs ensure that students achieve degrees within four years while paying a fixed rate for tuition, fees, and room and board. WIU remains the only university in Illinois to guarantee the cost for tuition plus fees and room and board over a four year period at both the undergraduate and graduate level.